Friday, April 03, 2009

George Herbert born today, 1593

Evensong

The Day is spent, and hath his will on me:
 I and the Sun have run our races,
 I went the slower, yet more paces,
For I decay, not he.

Lord make my losses up, and set me free:
 That I who cannot now by day
 Look on his daring brightness, may
Shine then more bright than he.

If thou defer this light, then shadow me:
 Lest that the Night, earth's gloomy shade,
 Fouling her nest, my earth invade,
As if shades knew not Thee.

But Thou art Light and Darkness both together:
 If that be dark we cannot see:
 The sun is darker than a Tree,
And thou more dark than either.

Yet Thou art not so dark, since I know this,
 But that my darkness may touch thine:
 And hope, that may teach it to shine,
Since Light thy Darkness is.

O let my Soul, whose keys I must deliver
 Into the hands of senseless Dreams
 Which know not thee, suck in thy beams
And wake with thee for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment