Friday, February 20, 2009

A Holding Place for Memories



As I age I have been thinking back and remembering the past more and more.
In some cases, all I have left of people and places are their memories.
My mother was an accredited flower show judge and we always had fresh flowers and arrangements in our home.
One thing she did was make a huge grapevine wreath from vines in our 639 Sycamore home's yard.
She took the wreath and filled it with dried flowers.
From then on whenever we had a flower from a special occasion (prom, wedding, birth, death...) we would add a flower from that occasion to the wreath.
When we shared my mother's possessions, my sister got the wreath and it is beautiful in her home.
Lisa is in 4H and wanted to do a dried flower wreath. We bought a grapevine wreath at a craft store and added flowers that I gathered from my mother's home and had boxed until I knew what to do with them. She also used a fresh floral arrangement from my aunt and uncle that I have been drying for two years. That together with a few of our memory flowers and now we have a memory wreath of our own! it is pictured above. Thank God for my mother and her talent and great ideas. What a joy to be able to continue her tradition by beginning one on our own!

1 comment:

  1. A lovely post, as always.

    You remind me of the woman from Proverbs 31

    She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

    She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.

    Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:

    "Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all."

    ReplyDelete