Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Eat your veggies

Well, I'm trying to, anyway. What is it that makes some pieces of celery taste good, and others taste like horrible, bitter herbs? I actually enjoy celery, particularly for its ability to support peanut butter, but how do you know which is the good bunch of celery to buy?

And, what spices/flavorings/toppings can you add to make cooked vegetables more fun to eat? Green beans is easy. I love green beans and could eat them plain, but I like to top them with garlic and/or almond slivers to add a little variety. But what can you use with cooked carrots, corn or peas to make them a little more enjoyable without adding a lot of extra calories?

I refuse to eat broccoli, even with cheese. If I were to try it, the ratio of cheese to broccoli would be such that I might as well just eat the cheese sans broccoli. I do like raw cauliflower, but admittedly have never tried it cooked? Does the flavor stay the same?

Yeah, I'm hungry now. Time for lunch...

1 comment:

  1. I will try some veggie help.

    With cauliflower you can boil it and then saute it in olive oil and garlic until it is slightly browned. YUMMY!

    Cook your carrots in coins and then when they are finished toss them in some dijon mustard and honey. That is yummy.

    My aunt always puts sour cream with her corn and bakes it. That doesn't really save many calories though. I do admit that I add a teaspoon of sugar to my corn when I cook it. I also cook it with egg, milk, and jiffy cornbread mix to make like a souffle. If you want the recipe I can send it to you.

    I do a marinade of raw veggies that is so good!

    It takes oil, vinegar, salt, and italian seasoning. You let them sit overnight. I use red onion, carrots, cauliflower, red peppers, olives, oh so good!

    With the celery you can usually smell it and tell if it is going to be strong or not. Also, if it looks really thick it will probably be strong.

    Hope this helps a little.

    Oh, we also boil our beans with beef bulion. That makes them godo too.

    ReplyDelete