Friday, September 19, 2008

Why am I blogging?

I really don't have time for a blog post, do I? After all, I've got my Facebook profile to monitor now. Gotta get that flair!

It's hard to believe that just a week ago I was back in EPCOT, drinking my way around Word Showcase. I feel like I still haven't gotten caught up yet.

I had intended to get a haircut and a new dress for a scholarship dinner I'm going to tonight. Well, that didn't happen. But I've got a nice dress anyway, and great shoes at least. I wish I had time to do something about my hair, though. Oh well.

I got to be part of a really cool meeting this morning. We had an architect come out and give some suggestions on ways we could rearrange different parts of the library. I was somewhat skeptical, but I really liked what she had to say. Of course, I especially liked the part about me getting a new office....

It will be interesting to see what the library board gives their approval to. I think all the changes would make a big difference.

Then I went with my boss to a local seniors luncheon. Once a month a couple of librarians go and bring a bunch of donations to give away to the seniors who come to the luncheon. (and what's the difference between lunch and luncheon anyway?) I have to say, these gals were like vultures! As soon as they came out of their lunch room they made a bee line for our tables and were just grabbing things right and left!! But they were all funny and soooo nice and very appreciative of us bringing the books to them. It felt really good to be making them happy.

Unfortunately I had to come back to work and make a staff member unhappy. She wanted me to make a change to our online calendar and I tried to talk her out of it. I got very frustrated because I just couldn't convince her that the way it was configured was correct. In the end, I refused to change it and she was extremely curt with me.

But then some of my new leadership training kicked in. I don't have to say yes. It's my call and I stand behind my decision. She can pout all she wants, but the answer is no. I briefly recounted the story to my boss as she had shared with me a frustrating encounter of her own. But we both supported each other and said that we did the right thing. I can respect that.

1 comment:

  1. CARSON7:09 PM

    you blog for me.
    reason enough for anyone.
    do not stop.
    i savor each word.

    ReplyDelete