Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'd rather be playing Wii

I haven't played the Wii at all since Labor Day weekend. I had started re-playing through Twilight Princess but our weekends have gotten swallowed up by school and church commitments. I hadn't actually missed playing Wii until tonight.

I think what made me miss it was the ILA conference. I've been attending the ILA conference yesterday and today. I sat with my boss at one session titled "What your library director wants you to know: what to tell your library director". It was kind of a mish-mash of random thoughts from two local library directors. I think they sort of lost their focus but they did have a couple of good points.

One had to do with staff taking initiative to go to their library directors and offer to take on extra projects. Their point was that you should tell your library director (or immediate supervisor) if you are one of those people who is willing to try new things.

So I leaned over to my boss and said "I just want you to know that whenever you're ready to start doing gaming in the library I will be more than happy to head it up." Yes, I have a personal agenda to get more gaming in the library. I don't have a strong desire to work with teens, but if I were introducing games into the library I personally wouldn't start with teens.

First, I'd start a seniors only bowling league. We could meet once a month for Wii bowling and keep track of scores and have tournaments and prizes. Then, I'd have a family or intergenerational event. I'd pick some team game like tennis or Mario Kart and require a child to sign up with a parent or guardian.

I think you need the support of non-teens to really give gaming in the library some "teeth". By winning over the audiences that might be the most likely to protest, then you gain credibility. Oh, I've got it! We have a "gaming academy" where parents can come and hone their video game skills so that they can go back home and beat their kids at the games! How about that??

1 comment:

  1. Carson1:47 PM

    Not that you asked but I am not sure that "gaming" belongs in a library as one of its services. I really need to think about that one.
    Although...movies/dvds/cds probally do not belong there either and I love to check those out! So I will think about it.
    Sounds more Parks and Rec. :)

    ReplyDelete