Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The week that was

It's been almost a week now since I posted anything new.

The kids went back to school on August 21. So far, so good. There's a new girl in Hannah's class who I think has become one of Hannah's friends. That's good. She could use a good friend who is also in her class. Her best friend is a year behind her. Not sure what those girls are going to do next year when Hannah heads off to high school.

Dave's sister and family came to town over the weekend. Everyone except Michelle and I went to the Michael W. Smith concert on Sunday night out in Rockford. Michelle didn't want to go and I didn't want to attend any type of "mass" event where there wasn't reserved seating. I've decided that being 40 means you have the right to refuse to attend any event where seating is "general admission." Who wants to arrive three hours early for a concert to get a good seat? Not me. I refuse to do it.

Yesterday was perhaps one of the most interesting days at work so far. We are having our 30 year old HVAC system updated. The company had to hire a helicopter to remove the old unit from the roof and place the new one on the roof. So the library was closed until noon while the work was being done. It was awesome.

We all got there really early to get assigned our "crowd control" spots to keep gawkers from getting too close. I was slightly disappointed that I was assigned to be across the creek from the library, in the park by the footpath, but I still had a pretty good view when the helicopter came up over the trees. I was pretty far away, but really felt the wind from the helicopter. A lot of people took pictures, but I don't actually have any pictures otherwise I'd post one here.

The frustrating thing since then has been the staff griping about the temperature of the building. We had temporary cooling units, but they didn't get them actually up and running until late Tuesday afternoon. I about slapped somebody when I was asked if there was anything I could do about how "hot" it was in the library about 2:00 in the afternoon. Um, hello? They are in the process of hooking up the temporary cooling units right now. So just suck it up. I think you can handle it being 78 degrees in the building. Babies.

Then today the installers had to use a blowtorch and do some soldering or something. All I know is that it smelled like smoke and indeed, the crew chief did tell me that they had created some smoke, and that it was harmless, but annoying. The had turned off the blowers and were ready to turn them on, and they thought maybe it would trigger the smoke detectors. (I wouldn't be so concerned, but my boss is on vacation so I'm the one in charge now! *gulp*)

Anyway, the smoke alarm did not go off, but it still didn't smell really great. It sort of smelled like your furnace when you first turn it on in the fall. One staff member was quick to let me know that "people are leaving because of the smell." And? Your point is? You think I wouldn't leave for the day if I could? Again, suck it up. It got better after an hour or so. Tomorrow the window washers are coming so then the library will smell like window washing fluid.

Oh crap, we've got the cooling units in front of the huge set of bay windows. Why didn't I reschedule? D'oh! Well, I guess they won't get the outside bay windows this time around.....

1 comment:

  1. Carson2:41 PM

    This is a great story!
    We never even got to it yesterday on the phone!
    Too long without contact.

    ReplyDelete