Monday, August 18, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love

I've been listening to Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert on CD. This book seems to have gotten a lot of attention lately and a fellow librarian recommended it on CD.

It is read by the author, something about which I have mixed feelings. The narrative tone is so conversational that I think there are some sentences only the author can pull off with the right tone. On the other hand, she does have a tendency to drop the "ng" off words that end in "ing". She says "walkin" and "talkin", yet she consistently says "eating" with the clear "ing" at the end. So I can't decided if I wish a real book reader had done the recording or not.

I also haven't decided whether or not I even like the book. At times, I can completely identify with the author and at other times I think she's completely off her rocker.

In the end, listening to the book makes me desperately want to take a road trip with my three best friends from college (you know who you are). I don't even care where we go; I just want the four of us to be forced to spend a lot of time together, free from outside interruptions and schedules. That would be great.

1 comment:

  1. CARSON2:23 PM

    Read the first of the three sections.
    Could not get into the 2nd or 3rd sections.
    Gave it away.
    Yuck.
    I will road trip with you.

    ReplyDelete