Friday, June 27, 2008

The Closer - Pilot


So we watched the pilot episode of "The Closer" last night.

First off, and this probably goes without saying; watching TV shows on DVD is great. You don't even have to skip over the commercials, because they aren't there! Secondly, getting TV shows on DVD from the library is also great, since my library doesn't charge for movies. (My previous library did, but it was only a dollar. Hm. That would make an interesting library-related post.)

Third, I just want to state for the record that, in general, I am not a big fan of police/investigation/mystery solving type shows.

I thought the show was pretty good. I know I have no way of proving it, but I did figure out what happened VERY early on in the show. It took me a little bit to figure out how all the characters fit together, which was a little distracting, but what do you expect for a pilot episode.

I think the most interesting thing about the show was watching Brenda interrogate the suspect and get a confession, which, I guess, is sort of the premise. She's the one who can close the deal. When you've got some nincompoop cops who can't get a conviction because of technicalities, she comes in and gets the job done.

I thought it was a little gory. That may sound odd coming from someone who is a fan of House, but the little medical clips on House are usually computer generated things, not murder-related.

I'm not sure how I feel about Brenda's obsession with sweets. What is that supposed to be? It made me hungry watching the show so I baked brownies last night and ate one for breakfast this morning. (I also made this cookie-dough-like topping for the brownies which Dave didn't like, so I only put it on my brownie. And now I've got a bowl of this stuff that tastes just like cookie dough, but without the eggs. I could just sit and eat the whole thing. I've got to get rid of it!)

Overall, I give the pilot episode of "The Closer" a C. It's not within my genre of shows I really enjoy, but it's unfair to judge a whole series based on just the pilot. So I will continue to watch the other episodes, to give it a fair shot.

2 comments:

  1. CARSON11:45 AM

    sorry for the bad tip.
    I still love it and can not wait for the new show in July.
    I look away for the gore and most of it is in the first minute.
    I did know that you would like Brenda.
    Give it a try for a little bit. You may change your mind as you get to know the characters. There is one detective that reminds me of you. You really see the team gel and work together as the show goes along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One detective reminds you of me? Then I'm definitely going to keep watching and see if I can guess who it is! Is it the young African-American guy? The one who drives her around and then ends up being nice to her? I do enjoy him.

    ReplyDelete