Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What I'm reading

The Year of Endless Sorrows : a novel
By Adam Rapp

Actually, I just finished this book and have moved on to something else now.

This is not a book to make you feel happy. It is exactly what the title says it is -- a year of endless sorrows. The nameless protagonist is a recent college graduate from Iowa (!!) who moves to New York City and tries to become a writer. The setting is the early 90's.

The book could have used a little more editing. Too many similes for my liking. But it did really hold my interest, and I wanted to find out what was going to happen next.

The weirdest part for me was that I did have a friend from Iowa who did move to New York City after college and he did want to be a writer. So I kept picturing my friend, who would write me from time to time from NYC about his various adventures. This book made me think about him and wonder where he is now.

3 comments:

  1. Carson12:11 PM

    Nice of you to keep up with your friends.
    What would happen if I move to New York?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you moved to New York, I would move to Scranton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carson2:18 PM

    Excellent answer.
    You made my day!

    ReplyDelete