Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Idiocy is alive and well in the public library

And I'm not talking about the people who use the library (for a change). Welcome to a little segment I lovingly like to refer to as "getting to know the people I work with" or "feel my pain". (Hm, I guess that's how you know you're officially part of a workplace; when you feel like you can complain about your co-workers.)

The names of the people involved have been changed to protect me -- from them.

Scenario A: We have been having trouble with our public wireless network for just about a week. The tech guys have been trying to fix things remotely, but they don't seem to be working. This morning, Angela emails me saying that Ryan at "corporate" tried to reply to one of her email messages but it keeps bouncing. She wonders if it has anything to do with the public wireless problem.

Okay, holy expletive deleted! The freaking wireless network has nothing to do with email. How on earth can someone think that these are possibly related? Even if you know crap about computers and networks?

Scenario B: We have an email list that is for the maintenance guys and myself (since I'm their supervisor). Ever since January, staff email this list when something is broken, needs to be cleaned, mopped up, moved, etc. Also this morning, Kevin emails me (and only me) saying that one of the newspaper shelves is "down" and looks like a screw came out. I reply that I will have maintenance look at it and remind him that he can email the list so that the maintenance guys will get to it faster and not have to wait for me. Kevin replies (and I quote) "I just wanted to mention it to someone, not formally request that a certain job needs to be done".

Huh? So does it need to be fixed or not? I'm so confused by this sentence. If it needs to be fixed then let maintenance know! If it doesn't need to be fixed, then why the &!#$@ did you email me about it?

As my daughter would say: S-I-G-H. (I need chocolate.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment