Friday, August 17, 2007

Have a magical day!

The Disney Blog has announced that it's having a contest! So here's my entry:

What is your favorite or most useful tip for guests of Disney's theme parks?

I don't know how useful this tip is, but I think it's something that is overlooked. Visitors to DW have such high expectations about being treated extra special that they don't consider their role in the scheme of things.

My tip is this: be nice to the cast members.

I know it sounds simple, but really, if you smile at cast members, acknowledge that they are there, they will treat you right. Never, ever turn away if you see a cast member heading towards you. Especially if they are wearing a white vest!

Once in MGM Studios, we were leaving a shop and I was tired and all of a sudden I saw a cast member with a camera approaching our family. My first reaction was "Oh great, one of those annoying 'may I take your picture' people, with the stupid photo card, yadda, yadda." But then something kicked in and I told myself that they were only doing their job and it wouldn't be right to just frown and turn the other way. I mean, how would I feel if someone did that to me at work?

Anyway, I quickly put on a big smile and looked right at the photographer who said "How would you like to be the Family of the Day?" Would we? Are you kidding?

It didn't turn out to be anything huge, but we did get a free 5x7 photograph of the whole family in front of the hat. And I always like to have pictures of the four of us at DW. Plus, I knew that it would be a good picture, since it wasn't like we just stopped someone on the sidewalk and asked them to snap a photo. (Sometimes those don't turn out so great.)

So while this may not seem to be a big thing, I do make a point to people I know that they should try to be just as pleasant to the cast members as they are to you. Who doesn't love to tell someone "Have a magical day!"

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Thanks for participating in The Disney Blog's contest! That's a great point about being nice to cast members. I always make a point to smile, call them by name, and say thank you after every encounter.

    Good luck in the contest!

    -John
    www.thedisneyblog.com

    ReplyDelete