Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Another first day of school

Tomorrow is the first day of school again. This year the girls are supposed to get on the bus at 7:15 am, which means they need to be out of the house by 7:10 am! Spleesh! That's hard for a night owl like me. But I've been slowly trying to force myself to go to bed a little earlier every night for the past few nights.

It's hard, though, when you're a reader. Once you're into a book you just don't want to stop. At least I don't. Right now I'm reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I haven't been a big HP fan since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. That's where I thought the whole series went downhill. But I've dutifully read every HP tome, just like all my librarian colleagues.

So far, I really can only say that I'm bored. HPATDH is just tedious. Well, every once in a while there are brief moments of action, of something that actually moves the story line along, but those are over all too quickly and we're back in the forest hiding again. Ugh.

I figure it's just Rowling's way of making the climax of the book happen in the spring like all the other books. Plus, now Harry and the gang know about some stone that will let them talk to deceased people, so at least Rowling has made it possible for her to use the same book structure as every other HP book, that is: a whole bunch of confusing things happen and then Dumbledore explains everything in the second to last chapter. Dumbledore always explains why bad is actually good, why up is acutally down, and why nothing is really going to be explained until the end of HPATDH. *sigh* Only 300 or so more pages to go....

(Hm, what did that have to do with the first day of school? Nothing, really.)

No comments:

Post a Comment