Friday, July 06, 2007

Indulge me a bit

Permit me to brag a little about my daughter, Hannah. This summer she has taken over the job of mowing the lawn. We pay her $10 every time she mows, and she actually does a good job with a minimal amount of complaining. (shocking!)

She has enjoyed having the spending money and blew her earnings right away on The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Action Replay. But now there's not that much that she wants and she's just earning money with no concrete plans for spending it.

So last night we went to WalMart because Hannah needed new swim shoes and goggles. She was prepared to spend her own money on these items, mostly because she left her old swim shoes and goggles at camp. But as we were working our way around the store she says, "Can we stop and look at the play food. The church nursery has hardly any good play food." (She volunteers in the church nursery twice a month.)

So we picked out three different play food sets and I could hear her counting out loud trying to add up what she would spend on the shoes and goggles and how much she would have left over to spend on the new play food.

I told her not to worry about it; that I would pay for the shoes and goggles. If she wants to spend her lawn mowing money on new toys for the church, then I'm willing to pretty much buy her anything she wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment