Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Na na na na, hey hey, goodbye Dewey

There has been a little flutter of news stories and blog posts about the new Perry Branch of the Maricopa County Library District opening without any classification system for its books. And one reactionary news story defending Dewey.

I don't usually like to jump on the bandwagon, but I will say this: lighten up! I, for one, like the idea. Who says books have to be in an exact order to be usable. Just point people in the right direction and let them browse. Oh, and get rid of all the old, smelly, crappy looking books, so people will want to actually pick up the books and use them. I got a copy of a book on ILL from a neighboring library and the pages were yellow and disgusting, and the book smelled, for crying out loud! Ew!!

Plus, making spine labels is a big pain in the you-know-what. I did it for over 19 years! There's just no easy way to make a good spine label. I have typed them by hand, used a dot matrix printer, used a laser printer and even used a Brother label maker. It just plain sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment