Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A million monkeys sitting at a million typewriters

Okay, am I missing something here?
"Authors have choices...it's no longer a small list of four publishers in the library world that we all have to choose from. This is a good thing, and I think will result in more being published, and what is published will be of a higher quality and closer to the author's original intentions."
So if more books are published they will be of higher quality? What's the rationale for that? I've personally done original cataloging on some of those lovely iUniverse published titles, and frankly, they suck. I remember one book that took great pains in the foreward to point out that the book had not been edited in any way from the author's original manuscript, as though somehow this made the book better. I'm telling you, some people just can't write!

I personally do not think that independent publishing produces higher quality books. I believe it produces more books. What about the author with real talent who can't afford to publish their own book? This movement seems to me to widen the gap between the haves and the have nots. It's like, if you have the money, you don't have to jump through all the other publishing hoops that everyone else does. And that doesn't seem right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment