Saturday, April 07, 2007

Happy Easter from the frozen wasteland

Brrrr, I can't remember an Easter that was this cold! Chilly, yes, but it's downright freaking cold!

Today I got a little taste of what it must be like to be an activist. My library's friends group sponsored a "rally" to show support for the library referendum. We met at the main library and walked en masse to the new site, carrying "Vote yes!" signs and occasionally chanting.

"What do we want?" "A new library!"
"What will we vote?" "Yes!"

It was a little hard for me as a Gen Xer to really see what good this did. The route we took was primarily residential so we didn't get much exposure, and we had basically no press coverage. That's why I was there -- to write a news release about the event and submit the story to the local papers.

A couple of people asked me what paper I worked for. I don't, I replied. I find it interesting that I'm actually writing stories for the newspapers in my new job. The last time I wrote a story for a paper was in grad school where I wrote, edited, printed and distributed the semi-official newspaper for the grad school.

I guess I gotta pull out those old journalism skills again, which is fine. I always liked working for the newspaper. In a way, I've come full circle. Now I'm writing again. It feels a little rusty, but it will come back to me, I'm sure.

You want a story for the papers, I'm your girl. But you want me to walk around carrying a sign to tell other people what to do? What is this, the 60's? Get over yourselves, baby boomers!

1 comment:

  1. The new PR position at our PL pays $47,000. They should at least be paying you that.

    ReplyDelete