Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Murphy's Law

Yarg, what a day! Everything that possibly could go wrong, did. Well, it was only minor stuff, really, and in the end it all ended up being a comedy of errors.

The day started out pretty well. Dave got up and went downtown for his class. The girls and I got up, got dressed, I made lunch for myself and Michelle, it was all good.

Then I left the house. To be more specific, I left the house, taking Michelle with me to drop her off at my sister-in-law's for the day.

On the way down, I get a call on the cell phone (after two failed attempts -- my Office ringtone is too quiet to hear!). JP, who was supposed to take Hannah to basketball practice had to work and so she couldn't anymore, but she was making arrangements with LR to pick Hannah up -- oh, and the time and location for basketball practice had changed.

So I get on the phone with JP who confirms everything Hannah said and LR will do the driving today. No big deal, just a minor annoyance.

Then we get to my sister-in-law's house and she's not home! She knows I'm bringing Michelle, but the house is empty. I don't panic, I still have plenty of time to get to work. And after only 5 minutes or so, she shows up. (She's having her own Murphy's Law day.)

Again, it's no big deal, but now I do need to rush off to the library. I decide I'm going to take the "back roads" rather than the major streets. BIG MISTAKE! I got so turned around it was nearly ten after nine by the time I'm parking my car.

Then I realize -- my library keys are in my other coat pocket. I switched coats today because I thought it was going to be warmer. (It wasn't.) So I "get" to tell my new boss that I'm late and I forgot my keys. But when I tell her my whole tale of woe, she's totally cool. Since the library board meeting is tomorrow night, I have plenty of opportunity to make up any lost time.

At least at this point I'm still able to laugh it all off.

Then at noon, I get a call from Dave. The environmental sensor at home has gone off and can I run home and check it? Well, I've only been at this job three weeks, so I don't want to have to make any waves -- especially after the morning I've been having. But since he's downtown, I have no choice.

So I head home and it doesn't take long to find the problem. There is water on the floor of the laundry room, but that's because the washer drains into a sink before it goes down the real drain. (I don't know why.) Anyway the sink drain had a plug in it, so when the washer emptied, it all spilled out onto the floor. (Fortunately we'd had other water problems this summer so everything's in plastic tubs in the laundry room now.)

So another crisis averted. Actually, that's about where the crises seemed to end. Oh, I did have to reboot my phone a couple of times, but that's pretty minor.

It's all really minor, isn't it? Nobody that I'm really close to is in the hospital, or on the verge of bankruptcy, or having real problems that affect the rest of their lives.

So I'm not complaining about having a Murphy's Law day. Compared to the alternatives, I'll take Murphy's Law anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment