Tuesday, August 29, 2006

For this I became a librarian?

Granted, I've never had to clean up any bodily fluids at the library, but I've been through the wringer on automation issues. And today was #1 of all-time frustrating automation h-e-double-hockey sticks.

Today was our big implementation of PCounter. For a long time, I've had to listen to administration gripe about the amount of money spent on printer ink. For as long as they've been griping, I've been countering with the fact that we should install a true pay for print system that forces users to pay for their printouts before they can print.

I wasn't nervous about the installation the way I was when we implemented PC Reservation. Perhaps it was because I just watched Office Space the other night and just don't care about work anymore.

But I digress. It wasn't the actual software installation that drove me to tears today, it was the 3 hour process of figuring out exactly which group policies and which local PC rights I had to give to the user to get the printer drivers and software to install. (And how to configure the mandatory profile so that we wouldn't lose any changes.) Once we figured that out, the installation was really very simple, albeit, time consuming.

So today was probably the most grueling day I've ever had at this library. It wasn't quite as physically demanding as when I worked at my college library and we moved the contents of the third floor to the basement and the contents of the basement up to the third floor, but I'm completely drained. (How I have the energy to type is beyond me.)

I still have nearly 15 PCs that I still have to hook up to the new printers. At least I can get into work an hour before we open tomorrow and I should be able to cover a lot of ground in that time.

Now for some sleep that knits the ravelled sleeve of care.....

No comments:

Post a Comment