Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I guess part of being a grown-up is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.

I had a very frustrating day at the Innovative demo since my boss decided to join us. Thankfully, someone else pointed out how "surprised" they were that she decided to attend this demo since she didn't attend the Sirsi/Dynix demo, so I didn't feel compelled to point out her hypocrisy there.

During the morning break, my boss and colleagues talked just a little bit about self-checkout and epayment of fines. My boss (who is the library director) is very anti self-checkout. She said that she refuses to even use the self-checkout at Jewel since (to her) it represents someone losing a job.

Here's where I had to bite my tongue so hard it hurt.

It took every ounce of strength in my body not to ask her if she pumped her own gas. After all, gas stations used to employ people to do that for you.

It took every ounce of strength in my body not to askd her if she used an ATM. After all, if you use an ATM, then the bank doesn't need to employ a person to get you your cash.

I know for a fact that she goes online to pay her mortgage. (I can't help it, I have to fix her freakin' computer when she screws it up.) If she doesn't pay bills using the postal service, then what do we need mail carriers for?

If there's one thing I have no tolerance for, it's hypocrisy.

And I know I'm guilty of it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment