Friday, July 15, 2005

Exhausted

What an exhausting day. It was one of those days when things seem to be going wrong, but ultimately, they turn out alright.

I finally worked up the nerve to ask my boss about the status of a couple of projects. The way things work is that the department heads who make decisions regarding services and policies decide what services the library will provide and what the policies are. Then it's my job (where it involves computers) to make sure that the services are working and the policies can be enforced.

Anyway, I was nervous because you never know what kind of a crazy mood the library director is going to be in. She basically told me what I kind of figured, that we can't proceed with any of the projects until she talks to the board. At least that buys me some quiet for a while.

On the other hand, I'm usually involved in talking to vendors and salespeople for the purpose of gathering information and advising as to the feasibility of any new projects involving computers. Also, I get to ask how much things will cost. At that point the vendors usually think we're just about ready to go when in reality the administration never makes any decisions without knowing exactly what everything costs.

Anyway, I feel stuck in the middle, just waiting to find out if I can proceed or not. And waiting can be tiring.

Case and point: Harry Potter. Ugh. We didn't get our copies in until 2:00 pm today. I was in a panic to get them processed, stamped, covered, etc because my one person who works Saturdays is off tomorrow. That meant they had to get done before we closed today. (It only took about an hour to completely process the 20 copies that we received.)

But I was stressed because I had told the staff that I wouldn't leave for the day without making sure that the Harry Potter's were ready to go. But things got complicated by the fact that my husband decided to go to a Cubs game in the afternoon leaving me to pick up the kids and still make it to a 6:20 pm showing of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

It all worked out because given the fact that I had to pick up the kids, I was able to take our branch library's copy of Harry Potter to them today and it's right on the way to pick up the kids. I left work by 3:00 pm and did my running and we made it to the movie at exactly the time I had agreed to meet a co-worker at the theater.

It got even better since a local pizza joint was giving away free slices of pizza before the movie, too!! So we had pizza and popcorn and smuggled Swedish Fish into the movie, which was just great.

We all loved the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. It was just good fun. And good storytelling, too. There were some pearls of wisdom in that movie, I tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment