Monday, March 29, 2004

Return of Return of the King

Saturday night I went to see Return of the King -- yes, again. The last time I saw it was December 29, 2003. It was even better than I remembered!

Oh, it still bugged me when Theoden says they must ride "light and swift" (it should be "lightly and swiftly") but that's a minor point, really. I was surprised that I got all choked up at completely different points in the movie than I did before.

This time I got all teary when Frodo gets stabbed by Shelob and Sam thinks that he's dead. I remember reading that line in the book and just being completely blown away. I had to stop reading and just have a good cry. But the first time I saw the movie I didn't cry then because I knew what was going to happen.

At this viewing I really, really got choked up at all the farewells at the "end" of the movie. Aragorn's coronation, the departures to the grey havens, and even Sam returning home. I think I was so sad becuase I really felt like I was saying goodbye to my own friends. When I went to see ROTK on Dec 22 and again on Dec 29, I knew that at some point I'd be seeing ROTK in the theater again. But after Saturday, I don't think that I will be seeing ROTK in the theater again.

Now, I guess I'll just be waiting until the extended edition of ROTK comes out on video at the end of 2004. I suppose I could re-read the books again in the meantime. Am I going to turn into one of those geeks who re-reads Lord of the Rings once a year?? You know, I think I am. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment