Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I have no idea how long Steven has been bugging me to watch this show, but I bet it's "ever since it first aired". But now I have seen the first eight episodes! Keep in mind, that all I've seen so far. So all opinions expressed herein will be based on the first 8 episodes only!

Compared to the drivel that's generally aired on TV, Buffy's one of the better shows. The premise is unique (or at least it was, way back in the day) and there is something generally appealling about all of the characters. Most of us can identify with at least one character.

Each episode is actually very well written and everything from the episode names, to the events, to the settings really blends into a new, quirky style. I can understand why people would really like the show and become huge fans.

However, even at it's best, the show so far hasn't managed to "hook" me completely to the point where I would stay up late just to see the next adventure. Maybe it's because I don't like the vampires' makeup. It's a little strange, but not particularily "scary". It also seems like new characters are constantly introduced only to be revealed as either "bad guys" who have to be vanquished or short-lived characters that only serve to advance the plot of the given episode.

I'm not saying that the show won't "get better" as it finds it's feet, so to speak. Many, many TV series have only improved with time. I'm just not at a point in my life where I care to get involved with another TV series. I've got my weekly ER addition and I don't have time for another long-running show.

Now I KNOW that the Buffy series has ended. (It is officially over, isn't it?) So, in theory, I am able to see the whole series in it's entirety. But how many hours of viewing are we talking about?? A lot. So, sorry, Steven. It's not that it's a bad show, I really do think that it's a good show, but it's not the right show for me at this point in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment