Friday, January 02, 2004

One more day of agony...

The good thing about church finally having the service music available a week in advance is that I can actually have a week to practice the songs. The bad thing about picking up the music a week in advance is that I have a whole week to get nervous about playing.

Since I haven't worked all week I've completely lost track of what day of the week it is and I have this overshadowing fear that every day is Saturday and that I forgot to show up for the church service I was supposed to play for!! I even dream about playing the keyboards in church. Usually bad dreams, too.

Do I need this stress? And why should I get so stressed out about this? I've been playing the piano for 25 years and playing for "contemporary worship services" for 10 years, so I think I know what I'm doing.

I think it boils down to two things:

#1. Do I really know (and like) the songs that we'll be doing?
#2. Is this a communion service?

Yes, playing for communion services is TOTALLY stressful. You never know if you're really going to have enough music or not. Then sometimes you think you're all done and you wrap things up and then you notice that one of the pastors is still out in the pews distributing communion to those folks that can't easily make it up to the rail. Argh!

It's point #1 above that's bothering me the most tonight. Out of the seven songs we're doing tomorrow and Sunday I really only like one of them. And that's the one we'll be doing straight out of the hymnal!

Oh yeah, and I just found out that Mr. Big Shot Hill will be singing on Sunday morning. I just have one thing to say to him: "park your freakin' ego at the door, buddy."

No comments:

Post a Comment