Wednesday, November 05, 2003

The saga continues

I know I should get over it already, especially since I do own a librarian action figure. But there's just something about it that really bugs me.

Now, I've never had a bad reaction to anything written by the lipstick librarian, but she comments on this comic by saying that What's nice is that Jan Eliot gets the true nature of librarianship right, focusing on censorship and information access, rather than checking out books or looking dour.

I suppose that's all right, but frankly, I've been a "card-carrying" librarian for 11 years (and worked in a library for 17 years) and I can't say that I've ever really "focused on censorship", though I suppose cataloging counts as "information access". I guess that's because I have mostly worked in Technical Services. (yes, capitalized!)

Let's not try to fool anyone here, either. Libraries are about checking out books! What good is it to have the book on the shelf, but tell the patron they can't take it home with them?

Am I splitting hairs? Yes. Is any of this ultimately all that important? No. But that's what blogging is all about isn't it? Keeping a record of all the stupid little minutae of life??

BTW - I'll be selling my librarian action figure on ebay.

No comments:

Post a Comment