Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Dewey, do we?

Har, that's my futile attempt at late afternoon humor.

I suppose as a cataloger I ought to be excited that there's only 5 more days until the new edition of Dewey Decimal Classification. But I'm not. Supposedly, it's been 7 years since they published a new edition of Dewey. I guess there are many subjects that needed updating.

The thing is, we libraries have been coping with changes, assigning our own numbers as we see fit and now DDC is going to come along and say that we should use a completely different number. And I don't like to reclassify!! When someone asks me to reclassify a book, they had better come prepared with evidence as to how reclassification of an item is going to improve access. Cause that's what I'm all about, baby -- access!

No comments:

Post a Comment