Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Black lungs, warm heart?

Last night I started watching Futurama with the audio commentary. I think it was during the episode "I second that emotion" (though it may have been "Brannigan, begin again") that David X. Cohen mentioned that Futurama was given the Black lung award.

Naturally I had to hop on Google and find out more.

Well I don't know much about this group, but their main objection to Futurama is that Bender is a regular smoker. True, but Bender is a robot for one thing. And David X. Cohen pointed out that no humans children on the show are potrayed as smokers. One of the voices on the commentary said that Bender is actually partially fueled by the heat generated by smoking cigars. Bender is also fueled by alcohol.

In one of the more recent episodes, "Bender should not be allowed on TV" Dwight (Hermes's son) and Cubert (Professor Farnsworth's clone) try smoking cigars and become violently ill. So I think the award is given a little unfairly. Then again, there's no such thing as bad publicity, right? Maybe a few more people will discover this gem of a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment